Making Many Memories

Everyday we are Making Many Memories that we will treasure forever.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Angels Foster Care 5K

I participated in my first 5K on Saturday.


I did not make very good time because I kept stopping to 
take pictures.



View of the course from the bridge.


I really had no idea how seriously some people take their
5K's.



The first runner crossed the finish line in just under 16 minutes.
I hadn't even made it to the bridge or the 1 mile marker
by that time.



The course was at Liberty Park in San Diego.
There were some really neat places to take pictures.
Behind Nevaeh is a huge ship.


And these full size cannons.



There was great free food
along with giant sized stuffed pancake people.




Nevaeh had a great time on the free bounce house
and slide.



Of course going down head first was the best part.




Then we were off to impress the football players.



Don't let the pink outfit and bows fool you.
Nevaeh can hold her own when it comes to playing any game that involves a ball.




But this, this is the reason why we came.
It wasn't to try and beat our best time at a 5K.
It wasn't for the beautiful scenery or ocean breeze.
Nor the free food and entertainment.
It was to support an organization that brought me
the best gift I could ever have.

Thanks to these ladies and all their hard work,
babies all over San Diego County will be safe tonight.
They will be placed in loving homes
while their parents try and get their act together
or while CPS figures out they got it wrong.
(that is what happened with our first placement)

Foster Care is a broken system. 
One that needs so much repairing.

But with all it's faults, 
there are still people like Cathy and Rachel
who work tirelessly to ensure
that these babies are safe and loved
while the grown ups figure out the rest.

Next year
our whole family will be involved.
Want to join us? 


1 comment:

Penelope said...

How fun! But I can't imagine pushing a stroller 3 miles...what an accomplishment! San Diego is gorgeous! I must go back sometime.

I am running in a Polish Pickle 5K in a couple of weeks. Stinkpot will run in the 1K.