Making Many Memories

Everyday we are Making Many Memories that we will treasure forever.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

It's a Girl - Officially

Well I didn't think this day would ever come and now that it has I am so tired from all the events of the day I really don't feel up to blogging. Nevaeh, on the other hand, is keeping everyone up with her singing and saying hi to all of us. Apparently, the two 15 minute naps she got in the car was enough to make her want to stay up all night.

Anyway, our day started out by driving to San Diego in the rain. We had to pull over because I was afraid the stroller would be too wet to use if we left it in the back of the truck. So it ended up in the cab next to Nevaeh. I was hoping she would fall asleep since it was 12:00 p.m. But instead, she played with Jacob until about 15 minutes before we arrived at the courthouse.

I had wanted to come prepared because I wasn't sure how long we would have to wait before we saw the judge. But the longest part of the whole courthouse experience was getting through the metal detector with all of our belongings (computer, stroller, diaper bag) We kept making the alarm go off. I think it took about 10 minutes for us to get through the dumb thing.

We checked in right at 1:30 p.m. and I wasn't sure how long we would have to wait. We barely sat down when they called our name. I was not prepared for that and it seemed like the whole process with the judge was just a blur. We went in, Nevaeh immediately jumped down and went over to the toys they give to the children being adopted and we signed a paper. Then they took some pictures of us with the judge and shoved us (well not really but it felt like that) out the door.

We went outside and took a few more pictures with all the social workers who had been involved with the process. And that, my friends, was it. It was almost anti-climatic. Maybe because all the real drama and the knowledge that she would be ours forever happened back in July.

I had been emotional all week and even broke down when the lady at Kohl's asked me why I was purchasing coordinating outfits for my family. I had listened to some of my Wicked songs again and cried during them. I thought for sure I would be very emotional at court today. But I think it all happened so fast I didn't even have time to blink.

















Picture with the judge.




Nevaeh with her people (Karly, County Social Worker, Maggie, Angels Social Worker, Jill, Walden Adoptions Social Worker)





One tired baby on her way to Disneyland. But I am too tired to blog about that tonight so maybe after we our finished tomorrow I will take the time to do that.

2 comments:

Rachel Starchman said...

My husband adopted my oldest son and we were so worked up and ready and it was over in a flash. She is gorgeous! And your family is beautiful. I found your blog by chance through another persons (i love the networking) I cant wait to read more of your story! Neaveh's story is so inspiring. I cant imagine your pain of losing your fourth son. I have 3 boys and know theres another sweet spirit waiting to join our family! ((hugs)) from Arizona! Rachel
matthewrachelstarch.blospot.com

Katrina said...

Thank you for your sweet comment Rachel. We are really excited to have her sealed to us next weekend on my birthday. I love having my boys but there is something extra special about my little princess.